Sunday, July 24, 2011

Love doesn't strut!!


I've been reflecting on the words in 1 Corinthians 13 that describe love. It has been a while since I have written a blog post about love. Maybe I have writers block. Or, maybe, just maybe I really do not want to write about or even think about the next three words.

Love doesn't strut!!

Strut!! By the way that word looks funny when you type it.

Strut.
Swagger.
Show off
Walk in such a way to call attention to yourself.
To behave or perform in an ostentatious manner (I think ostentatious is a cool word. I remember learning it as a vocabulary word as a teen. In the 80's we did ostentatious well!!)

Living with teenagers I see them strut all the time. Sometimes I have to smile when I see my daughters strutting. Sometimes they are subtle. Sometimes not so subtle. They want to be noticed. And usually it involves a cute boy in the near vicinity. I, of course, never engaged in such activities when I was a teenager :-)

See, I get distracted when I think of the word strut.

Love doesn't strut..
doesn't show off
doesn't swagger
doesn't call attention to oneself

Gut check....do I strut? Well of course.

To love more I must strut less.
When I think of the word strut, I think of walking.
Maybe it's not so much how I walk, but how I talk.
I think I'll be quiet now!!!

No comments: