Wednesday, June 29, 2011

New Places!!


Our family moved to Memphis about eight years ago. At the time we had 3 kids with the youngest being one. Then within a couple of years we had our 4th child. I remember people would ask us if we were going to do this or that and I would think...no way!! The thought of taking 4 kids anywhere new caused me to break out into hives. Shoot, the thought of taking 4 kids out to dinner caused my blood pressure to rise.

So, for a season my world got really small. My life was oriented around my home and my family and the area of town where we lived and the area of town where I worked. The past 6 years truly have been wonderful. Time spent with my family and in relationship with friends has been sweet. And I would not trade those years for anything.

However, today I'm realizing that my world is expanding...and I'm pretty pumped. By nature I like to try new things and go new places and explore.

Recently I've started working for a ministry in Memphis called Habitat for Hope. Little did I know when I started working with these folks just how much fun I would have. Here are some of my new hang outs.

Le Bonheur - (This is a post by a friend) I'll be here on a regular basis hanging out with families. Recently I was able to take Clara with me when we served lunch to the staff of one of the floors. We had a blast serving together.

Habitat for Hope Apartments
- The first week of summer vacation my daughter Hannah and her friend Erin went with me to clean the apartments to prep for new families moving into the apartment. These apartments are provided to families at no cost.

Habitat for Hope - Last week I had a meeting with Mylissa on the front porch of the 48 acre property. It was lovely and relaxing. The boys were able to go with me and had a blast playing with several boys. They started by playing Legos and then they moved outside for a duel under a canopy of trees. Working while hanging out with my boys is pretty sweet.

We've also had staff meetings at a couple of local places Republic Coffee and Cheffies Cafe.

Little did I know that I would be able to take my family along with me while I worked. For that I'm very grateful. Next week I'm going to treat my kids to a Paleta just because well I think they are awesome!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this. I had no idea of the change your life took from getting to Memphis until now. I am sure Habitat for Hope loves having you in their staff and chateau Smith couldn't ask for a cooler mom.

By the way, love the links on this page, specially Le Bonheur and the paletas, LOL. You gotta let me know what you think about them.

Jana @sidetrackd said...

Glad to know it gets better...the thought of leaving the house with 4 gives me heart palpitations. :-)