Saturday, November 05, 2011

Pure Joy

This morning I woke up with this running through my mind. "Consider it pure joy when you face trials of many kinds". And my first thought was Oh crud, what trial is going to come my way today. It kind of made me want to roll back over and go to sleep.

My second thought was this does not describe me. According to my life it should say, "Whine and complain when you face trials of many kinds. Pitch a royal fit when you face trials of many kinds. Or, give people the silent treatment when you face trials of many kinds of many kinds. Eat chocolate when you face trials of many kinds."

I'm wondering what my life would look like if I really considered it pure joy when I face trials of many kinds.

And I'm really wondering what pure joy looks like. It's definitely not that Pollyana happy, happy platitude filled attitude.

Why should I consider it pure joy when I face trials of many kinds?

Here's what the next verse says "Because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything "

No trials = no testing of faith which leads to perserverance.

Trials help me quit being a big fat spiritual baby.

No comments: