Friday, October 21, 2005

A Friend...

friend - a person whom one knows, likes, and trusts; a person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade; an ally.

Psalms 17:17(a) - "A friend loves at all times..." (NAS)

One of the most valuable pieces of advice my dad gave me early on, and continues to give me to this day, is "you can never have too many friends." Though some would dispute the idea, I've always found it to be true. Friends are like treasures. True, real, close friends are priceless.

I have been blessed through the years with many, many friends of varying degrees, from merely acquaintances to surface friends to friends to true, real, close friends. Some will likely show up as topics of conversation in Chateau Smith in coming weeks and months.

A regular fixture in the first Chateau Smith was a friend that has consistently remained close to this day regardless of our individual physical locations or life struggles. Terry Wright is the personification of Psalms 17:17. Regardless of how good or bad his life is or how good or bad my life is...Terry is there (and his wife, Renee, is a similar priceless friend to my wife, Diane). To this day we talk on the phone several times a week. We share our lives with each other, including triumphs and trials.

Terry is now the pastor of Dunn's Creek Baptist Church in Palatka, Florida. His church has several hundred attendees, yet he finds the time to keep our friendship growing. Terry is one of the first outside of our immediate family to know of most of the things that happen in our lives. He keeps up with my world, holds me accountable, encourages me, prays for me, celebrates with me, grieves with me. Even though we are separated by distance, I also view him as my pastor.

For any who have stumbled onto this blog, please take a moment to evaluate your friendships. I'd love to hear characteristics of YOUR close friends. What kind of friend are you to those God has placed in your path? Personally, I have a LONG way to go to be a good friend to those whose path I have crossed and hearing about the friendships of others helps me grow. It is great that I have such a real, living example of how to be a good friend.

No comments: