Sunday, February 19, 2006

Random Thoughts At Weekend's End...

As we close out another weekend, some random observations...
  • For the second weekend in a row, Memphis is the recipient of winter precipitation. Last weekend it was snow, this weekend it was sleet. It hit on Friday night at midnight, effectively icing us in for two days.
  • Memphis (well, at least Bartlett, the suburb where we live), unlike our former residence of Dayton, does not salt its streets, so the ice doesn't melt. I'm fairly certain there's no salt truck in the city. Their might be a snow plow at the airport, but again, I'm not sure.
  • The local televized meterological prognosticators can talk any weather situation to death, but when it's unusual (like a sleet storm), they bring in reinforcements.
  • Meteorologists are proud of themselves when they get it right.
  • Icy weather outside can't be used as an excuse to not paint the bathroom.
  • When kids are iced in for a long period of time, they get bored.
  • When kids are iced in for a long period of time, they fight a lot.
  • The appearance of a can of paint and associated supplies is a magnet for kids.
  • The wise person who said "many hands makes work light" probably didn't have kids. The wise person who said "too many cooks spoil the soup" probably did.
  • Have kids help with painting a bathroom can easily double the amount of time it takes.
  • Regardless of the extra effort involved and the amount of rework that might be necessary, it's really neat when your kids want to help.
  • My son, Noah, has become a natural at giving words of affirmation. If he said "daddy, you did a GOOD job painting my bathroom" once this weekend, he said it fifty times. Each time was very sincere, and said with a smile...loudly. Each time literally made my heart melt.
  • Our church cancelled it's services today, as did many churches in Memphis due to the icy streets.
  • There are a LOT of churches in Memphis.
  • Sometimes when TV stations list closings, they don't give enough information. One station I saw had, in its scrolling list of church closings from Arkansas (which is just across the Mississippi River from Memphis) that the First Baptist Church would be closed. But it didn't say First Baptist Church of WHAT!!! There are easily a hundred towns and cities within the broadcast area of this Memphis TV station within Arkansas and ALL of them have a First Baptist Church.
  • Sometimes you can get too much information....but it was nice to know that Betty's Nail Salon in South Memphis was closed today. For those who might not be familiar with my city of residence, Memphis is the 17th largest metropolis in the USA. But I'm sure it was important to Betty's customers.
  • The scrolling news ticker, plus the list of churches that were closed, plus the weather radar images, plus the winter weather advisory, plus the actual television show being shown, are all far too small when packed onto a 13 inch screen (the one I have in the bedroom).
  • I'm not as excited about watching the Olympics as I thought I'd be this year. There's just something about the television coverage that makes it not as enjoyable, but I can't place my finger on it.
  • I can go on forever with random thoughts because I keep having them as I record them...but enough is enough for one posting...

No comments: