Thursday, June 02, 2011

What Does Love Really Mean?


Lately I've been pondering what love really means. Let's face it, we all want to be loved. Period.

A song released by the Beatles right after I was born sums it up in the chorus. According to Wikipedia "The Beatles were asked to come up with a song containing a simple message to be understood by all nationalitites." This song was first performed by The Beatles on Our World, the first live global television link.

All you need is love.
All you need is love
All you need is love, love
Love is all you need

What was true in 1967 is still true today. We all need and want love. That I can agree with. But...I am wondering what the world would look like if we shifted our focus. I wonder what would happen in this world if we stopped needing love and started giving love.

It's easy to receive love, but harder to give love.
It's easy to say the words "I love you", but it is much harder to live the words "I love you".

Love cares more for others than self!!
These words from 1 Cor. 13 sum up what I am trying to say. Today....let's care for others more than we care for ourselves. Now that would make the world a better place.

Okay so that wasn't intentional...but leads to some lyrics from Michael Jackson.

I'm Starting With The Man In
The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change
His Ways
And No Message Could Have
Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World
A Better Place
Take A Look At Yourself, And
Then Make A Change

or from "Heal The World"

Heal the World
Make It A Better Place
For You And For Me
And The Entire Human Race
There Are People Dying
If You Care Enough
For The Living
Make A Better Place
For You And For Me

If You Want To Know Why
There's A Love That
Cannot Lie
Love Is Strong
It Only Cares For
Joyful Giving

What if today I really loved my neighbor as myself?
What if today I really considered others better than myself?









1 comment:

Bianca said...

Love this! I was once told love is a verb, not a noun. HA! (Maybe you wont have to think on it as hard as I did at first.)