Friday, January 22, 2010

Sowing and Reaping

Sow a thought, reap an action
Sow an action, reap a habit
Sow a habit, reap character
Sow character, reap a destiny

Lately I've run across this in a couple of different places. Usually when that happens it means I need to pay attention. (I'll talk about my takeaway in a different post)

This morning as I was starting my day I decided to use this verse as a teaching opportunity for my kids. It seems lately...since the holidays, traveling, the winter claustrophia and lack of exercise have caused my children to completely lose control.

Better stated they are DRIVING ME NUTS...the whining, the arguing, the complaining, the hitting and on and on.

This morning we read this saying together and had a great discussion about what it means to sow and reap. And, our actions, habits, character and destiny can be good (positive) or bad (negative or destructive). While our thoughts are not known by everyone...only God knows our thoughts. Our actions, habits, character and destiny are seen by all.

I thought it was a great discussion anyway. The children probably heard BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. I think I'm starting to sound like the grown-ups in Charlie Brown to my children.

My desire is that my children would really get this!! Rather than just moving on, I decided to incorporate a game. It doesn't really have a name.

Here's the game....Each of my children have a glass jar. They started the day with 20 rocks in their jar.

We made a list of positive actions that would add a rock to their jar. Some examples are cleaning room, taking initiative, encouraging, completing school work, peacemaking, memorize a Bible.

We also made a list of negative actions that would take away a rock from their jar. Some examples are talking back, whining, complaining, hitting, yelling, cutting someone down, arguing, making faces.

The competition will last through Sunday night. The person with the most rocks will get a treat at Starbucks. Starbucks has been completely cut from our budget, so this is a real treat.

It is amazing how smoothly our morning has gone!! I love competition!!!

No comments: